Too Much Fun In The Sun
Movie superhero Chris Pratt recently showed us what too much fun in the sun can look like - it hurts so good. Yes, frolicking in the sun without proper protection can ruin a perfectly good time.
Our fave Pediatrician, Dr. Deepa Sukumar, tells us what to do when we forget to apply sunscreen before having too much fun in the sun. It's all about the after burn.
*Please remove your child from direct sun exposure as soon as you notice redness in the skin. Always remember, the longer he/she remains in the sun, the worse the sunburn will get.
* Let your child take frequent cool baths or cool showers for the pain to ease off. You can also apply cool wet compress to the area as needed. Hot showers will irritate the skin.
* After the cool shower, you can gently pat your child's skin with a clean towel. Then apply an aloe vera based moisturizer immediately. The moisturizer helps traps the water underneath and prevents dryness. Do not use petroleum-based products as they trap the heat and do not use benzocaine based products (it will irritate the skin).
* Make sure your child drinks extra water to prevent dehydration.
* If he/she has blisters, take care not to break the blisters, so that the skin does not become infected.
* Call your doctor immediately if your child has fever, headache, chills, blisters, nausea, or sunburn of a large area OR a general feeling of illness. Be sure always to consult your doctor when you notice sunburn.
* Keep your child from the sun till the burn heals completely.
* And remember always to use sunscreen while going out - cloudy or sunny. Enjoy your summer!
If you have any sunburn related questions or want to see a doctor from the convenience of your home, Dr. Sukumar is available 24/7 via tele-medicine. You can contact her via her website at www.gracemdconnect.com or text 844.230.3300.
#pediatrician #drsukumar #sunburn #chrispratt #tips #summer #sunscreen #whereisyourangel #angelwatchingoverme #angels #kidsbooks
Comments are closed.